Asthma Statistics of Children
The Cost of Treating Asthma
- The average annual cost of care for one child with asthma in 2009 was $1,039.
Back to School
- Asthma is the most common chronic disease among children. Others include diabetes, cystic fibrosis, and obesity.
- Asthma represents the second most prevalent childhood condition, the first being obesity.
- 3 in 5 people with asthma limit their physical activity.
- In 2010, 3 out of 5 children who have asthma had one or more asthma attacks the previous year.
- Children are more at risk for developing asthma than adults.
- More than 50% of all childhood asthma is allergy-related.
- Asthma affects 235 million people around the world.
Estimated # of Children with Asthma
- Nearly 1 in 2 children miss at least 1 day of school each year due to their asthma.
- Each missed school day costs $172. That's the average parent's day of pay.
- Children with severe asthma have to repeat a grade almost three times more often than children with mild asthma.
- 1 in 10 children have asthma.
- 10.1 million children 18 and under have been diagnosed with asthma.
Location, Location, Location
- 1 in 5 children with asthma went to the emergency room for care in 2009.
- 85% of patients can bring their asthma under control with education and supervision. 15% can not.
- Children are less likely to die from asthma compared to adults.
- 1 in 5 children with asthma went to the ER for asthma care in 2009.
Asthma Rates Among Ethnicities
- Children aged 0-18 years from the Midwest and South have a higher current asthma prevalence than those from other regions.
- According to 2010 data, Washington, DC and Puerto Rico had the highest child lifetime asthma prevalence rate out of 38 states and 1 territory.
- 10 million children have been diagnosed with asthma. Equal to the population or Georgia or Washington.
Metered Dose Inhalers
- African American: 16%
- White: 8%
- Hispanic: 8%
- Only 8.1% of children know how to use a metered dose inhaler.
- Use of a spacer increases drug delivery from inhaler by 4-6 fold.