It is important to clean your nebulizer regularly. Follow these easy steps for a quick and easy cleaning process:
- After each treatment, disconnect your nebulizer set from your compressor.
- Disconnect your tubing and set aside. Never attempt to clean your tubing. If it appears dirty or clogged, replace it.
- Rinse any residual medication from your medication with warm, flowing water. Rinse out your mask or mouthpiece.
- At least once a day, disinfect your nebulizer. For disposable nebulizers, you must soak them in equal parts water and white vinegar for at least 30 minutes. Rinse clean and allow to air dry. For reusable nebulizer sets, either boil for at least 5 minutes or wash in the top rack of the dishwasher.
- After all parts have been cleaned and disinfected, store in a clean, dry place away from dirt and dust.
- Once a week, wipe down your compressor with a damp cloth to remove and dust or build-up. This is a good time to check your air filter. Always replace any air filter which appears dirty. Using a dirty air filter will cause your compressor to malfunction.
When you follow these easy steps, cleaning and maintaining your nebulizer is a breeze!